About

Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Review: Psyche Minerals



Several months ago I ordered a voucher from Heartsy, for Psyche Minerals. This was the second order I had placed with her. The first several months prior. I received my package perhaps two to three weeks after placing the order. This is not unusual when you order from a Heartsy voucher. I received New Age Glamour, Enterprise, Hopper, Arrowhead and Mochi. The items arrived, well sealed in a bubble package.

Mundane Details:

  • Eye shadows come in 5gr jars with a false bottom - this results in less product than a conventional 5gr jar (some say about the same as a 3gr jar), with sifter for $6.00, samples are $1.00 and hold at least 1/8 tsp in a baggie.
  •  I received a business card, all product was placed securely in a muslin bag.
  • My jars did not have the ingredients listed, They were listed on a business card. The shadows have handwritten labels. 
  • Shipping is a base of $2.60 US and .05 for each additional item. It is unclear if she does any international shipping.
Originally her Etsy listings said "full size" for the shadow size, but did not reveal the amount of product.  I noticed tonight that her listings now say 5gr jar, but do not mention the amount of product.  The jars that she used for my first two orders are essentially the same size as a 5gr jar, but the false bottom limits the amount of product that it holds.  Overwhelmingly, the standard is a 5gr jar (no false bottom) with about 1gr of product.  This translates to about 1/2 tsp of product, US.

Her Etsy store has many swatches as the product picture, but I have come to find out, many of those colors are no longer available.  I was told due to an unfortunate flood in her basement, which resulted in the loss of the recipes.  Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would leave photos of colors that are no longer available.  If the issue is photography, there are several competent swatchers out there who could fit the bill.  

She has been in business now for about 1 year.  That is plenty of time to create a logo and to start using printed labels.  I think that it looks amateurish - using handwritten labels and handwriting the ingredients on the back of your business card.

She is really very nice, and after realizing that she was going to discontinue one of my favorite shades, she agreed to hold onto the remaining product for me.  I have never had any issue getting an answer from her via a convo.  Her customer service seems fine.

I really like the product.  All of her colors adhere to bare skin, and really come alive when applied over  primer.  New Age Glamour is one of my favorites. Arrowhead is a dream shade for The Ohio State University Buckeye fans.  A silvery gray with red glitter - it doesn't get much better than that.  She seems to discontinue shades for a variety of reasons, there's something unsettling about loving a shade and wondering if it will disappear with little notice.  I'm not really sure if that is even a rational fear, but it is a bit worrisome.


The golden question, will I purchase again?  Yes, I need to get more of a few colors.  I would like to see some of these anomalies addressed and to have her move into a more professional arena.  

The teeny tiny fine print: All opinions are my own, no matter how ridiculous. I did not beg, borrow or steal the products that I reviewed. I purchased them with my own lunch money. Honest and semi-coherent reviews are the way to make a distinction between great companies who hand-formulate their products and those who take mica - repackage it, slap an organic/all natural tag on their products and call themselves a mineral make-up company.  Honesty is my policy, even if I hurt a few feelings along the way.

Have you purchased from Psyche?  What are your experiences?

0 comments:

Post a Comment