About

Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

One Hand Washes The Other (OHWTO) - Review!



How do you start a review when you are so awestruck by a company, that you are afraid of not maintaining your objective viewpoint?  I guess you just do your best.

Several months ago, I read a review by Phyrra about OHWTO (One Hand Washes The Other) and her raves about the "Black Magic" soap.  Honestly, I read reviews but hesitate strongly when it comes to ordering things like face moisturizers, body sprays, perfume oils and the like.  I feel that I am very persnickety when it comes to what smells good.  There's no scratch and sniff Internet, so you are left to the descriptions by said purveyors and recommendations.


Upon a strong recommendation, I ordered a bottle of the Halloween LE scent "Burning Times".  I really love clove - and seeing that it's the second ingredient, I thought perhaps it would be worth a try.  I have always been a floral/woodsy type.  This is a big departure from my comfort zone.  All I can say is, I'm so thrilled that I ordered this scent.  It's very complex.  Here is the description:

Burning Times: "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"; motivated by fear, or some would say, by greed, the execution of a with nearly always included the burning of her body, though the method of dispatch may have varied. Vanilla, Clove, Patchouli, Pink Peppercorn, a hint of Suede, Red Musk, Sandalwood, Cinnamon, Cedarwood, and the smoldering Embers of a thousand years.



I've been stopped on the street by someone who couldn't resist the scent and decided to inquire.  It really is that amazing.  And as I have come to realize, almost all of the scents I have tried have been sublimely complex.  Some more pleasing than others, but that is the reality of our individuality.  What I do know is that the scent descriptions are dead on accurate.  You can read one, and see if you like the scents involved. 

With my original bottle, I received three very nice solid scent samples.

Satsuma (Body Shop type): A sweet Japanese citrus fruit, this is the sweetest citrus scent I've ever smelled. It reminds me of clementines at Christmas.
Lady Grey: Based on Earl Grey tea, Lady Grey has the bergamot and black tea notes you'd expect in such a scent, along with a touch of lightly floral musk, vanilla bourbon, and Immortelle. (available as a perfume oil/solid scent only) 
Desolation Angel: A rich blend of scents: cracked coconuts and fresh limes dance amongst swirls of dark musky woods, hint of vanilla, and a sprinkle of powder. This scent would smell great on men or women- it's one of my personal favorites.


Unfortunately, none of these were home runs for me.  All good scents - just individual preference.

My second order included a backup bottle of Burning Times along with a couple solid scents, one of which is Calveras.

Calveras -Named for the sugar skulls which adorn the Day of the Dead altars, this fragrance is sweet and spicy. Cinnamon, sugar, orange, and sweetened breads dressed up with a smattering of dried roses on a sandalwood altar.


I also received:

1605: 36 barrels of gunpowder, a faint yet insistent wisp of church incense, and a wafting of bonfire smoke. Warm ginger bread and a tall mug of hearty stout. Inspired by the story of Guy Fawkes, and created to evoke the tale every time you wear it. Opening mainly as a food scent, 1605 dries down to a warm, spicy and softly smoky scent- I can totally imagine this being worn and enjoyed by both guys and girls, and smelling great on all of them.
Lost at Sea: You can almost taste the salty sea air as it crashes against the bow of the ship, being cast about amongst the wild green and blue waves. Inhale deeply the tropical bounty of coconuts which could only have been bestowed upon you by Neptune himself, and the bouquet of citrus fruits brought aboard and stowed in the ship's hold for just such an occasion, and have not a care in the world that you are lost at sea.
Raspberry Gingerale: Ripe red raspberries floating up and down in a pitcher of freshly-poured gingerale, thanks to help from millions of fizzy pinprick bubbles. A touch of blackcurrant adds a syrupy sweetness to the blend without weighing it down. A bright and lively scent!
Waes Hail(LE): Be you healthy! A wonderfully uplifting sentiment, wishing you nothing but good things for the upcoming year. Tart Cranberries, mulling Spices, & Frankincense resin
I Smell Like A Witch: A special request for Luna of Toxid-Lotus.net, I smell like a Witch came about when a little boy told her that the combination of scents she was wearing made her smell "like a witch". Heh. Red & White Roses, Cotton Candy, Bubble Gum, Smoke, Sandalwood, Patchouli & Vanilla Bean

Quite frankly I like every single one, the I Smell Like A Witch - is not my style - but it could have been a custom made for my best friend, and no one would have been the wiser. (She'll be experiencing OHWTO.)  1605 is almost gone, I cannot get enough of it.  It smells amazing.  Lost At Sea and Waes Hail are definitely purchases.  Raspberry Gingerale smells just like you would expect it to smell, it will be a nice summer scent.

I also received a lip balm in Melon.  I can't decide if it smells and tastes like melon - or if the scent is so good that it's fooling my taste buds into believing they are tasting melon.


Last but not least, Black Magic soap.  I ordered a sample of this product.  I have read miraculous reviews on this product.  People were able to throw down their crutches and...be healed!  It's not their faith though, it is the great product that worked its magic.  I have always had a very good complexion, so for me, it was nice - not drying - but the only thing my face needs is a face lift.  No creams or soaps will accomplish that.  If you have a skin problem or you just want a great cleanswer(tm) give this a whirl. 

Becca makes other products aside from perfumes.  The stock varies, you have to check the website to see what's available.  She is also very responsive, emailing her is also welcomed for some individual advice.

I find the store to be difficult to navigate.  The best avenue is to click on the "Site Map" and check out the products by category - or if you are a tourist, click on the "All Items" and check out everything page by page.  

Take it from a very discriminating nose, this one is worth taking a chance.  You'll not be sorry.

Mundane details:  5ml amber glass bottle of perfume oil is $9.00 US.  .15oz oval tube of solid fragrance is $4.00 US.  1ml sample vials of perfume oils, $2.00 each.  Prices on the Black Magic vary, its available in three delivery methods; bars, jars and tubes.  The shipping seems very affordable.  Your choice, first class or flat rate. Receiving a package from her is quite fun.  She throws all sorts of random things in there, stickers, puzzles, suckers, candy - you name it.  One other very cool thing, if you order something that can be placed in a tiny manila envelope she seals it with wax and her mark.


What OHWTO scents do you love?



0 comments:

Post a Comment